Well let’s try something and see what happens.
One of the most awkward moments in the decades-long embarrassment that is U2 was the Rattle and Hum live video. Introducing the first song (a cover of the Beatles’ Helter Skelter), Bono says ‘Charles Manson stole this song from the Beatles. We’re stealing it back.’ Even with 23 years’ distance, you can feel the crowd cringe. I’d like to follow Bono down the grotesque path of self-aggrandisation with a performance text taken from the comments on a Facebook status update. Facebook legally owns this content. Deep breath: ‘Facebook stole these words from you. I’m stealing them back.’
Allah give us strength here.
U2 ON FACEBOOK PT 1
Finig: 1. I doubt you hate U2 as much as I do. 2. And yet, there’s a simple honesty to the refrain ‘I still haven’t found what I’m looking for’ that gets me every time. 3. Fuck U2.
UF, SE, YHE and 5 others like this.
– Charlie Rivers once described them as “Epically and lavishly forgettable”. I dont think ive ever liked a succinct statement about a band as much as that.
– I can’t believe we never bonded over our hatred for U2. If I had one bullet…..
– I WANT TO FIND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR. Oh, whoops, sorry was that too honest to share with Facebook?
– My boyfriend thinks “But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for” would make a lovely first dance at a wedding
– A friend of mine used to work as a wedding DJ. He said you would be surprised how often couples choose that song as their first dance. Do people not listen to lyrics at all?
– Which leads into the whole thing about the theme song to Better Homes and Gardens having a verse about domestic violence…
– I once had a boyfriend say ‘oh, this song is for you. I always think of you when it plays.’ when it came on. I looked stonily at him and he couldn’t understand why. Then it got to the chorus and he tripped over himself to say actually it wasn’t that song. we don’t go out any more. So the song was right. U2 CAN TELL THE FUTURE.
– I have kissed honey lips. I have talked with the voice of angels. I believe in kingdom come, when all the colours will bleed into one. And yes I’m still running. But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.
– I used to pride myself on the fact that I knew no one stupid enough to have gone to see U2 on this tour. Then I met someone, he’d been to see them. I didn’t much like him before but I pity the hell out of him now.
– When I was in Dublin there was a U2 festival in town and the whole town was going berserko for U2 fever and I just DID NOT understand what the fuss was about – there were U2 groupies travelling all around the tour circuit to see each and every show they did.
– seriously, fuck those guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVYj36pd034
– I hate you all. I have had U2 in my head all morning because of you.
– That may have happened with or without us.
– I like ’em fine.
– they’re much better trend followers than they are actual songwriters. They should make a post-hardcore thrash metal album. I enjoy Boy and Zooropa.
– I have looked on the bookshelves
I have looked out the back
I have looked under the counter
under the counter
but I still can’t find that fucking book I’m looking for
…Have you seen “To Sir With Love”? if so please let me know
– Hey, fuck you too, buddy.
– Had i had the money, I would have gone to see U2 on their last tour, because a) im curious as to see what one of their shows would be like, and 2) Jigga was supporting, and allegedly he is a phenomenal live performer…
– I have felt the feeling fingertips that burn like fire. This burning desire. I have spoken with the tongue of angels. I have held the hand of the devil. It was warm in the night. I was cold as a stone. But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.
– I guarantee I do 😛 – I really want to start a death to bono club…fuckwit should stop clicking his fingers and give some of his millions to feed the world rather than try guilt trip my poor, guilt free arse.. *grumble*
– The god I believe in, isn’t short of cash…Mister…
– As a wedding song it’s up there with “Love the one you’re with” and “What’s love got to do with it?”